EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Ultravox' Astradyne

quietman

wales.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

first post....

I have to say Astradyne is a classic piece. Billy Currie shows off his excellent viola playing and of course his iconic screeching synth solo on his Arp Odyssey. I think this may ironically have been one of the only Instrumentals they did and it was the first one off Vienna.

I have just entered a sound-alike Instrumental for a competition on the Ultravox forum just posted it on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9O_UbK4h0

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Tangram
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« quietman » wrote:
I think this may ironically have been one of the only Instrumentals they did

Not quite, The Ascent and Monument are a couple of other instrumentals they did that spring to mind.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
sparrow
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was gobsmacked when Ultravox opened with Astradyne in Edinburgh on the first night of their comeback tour.
Tangram
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sparrow » wrote:
I was gobsmacked when Ultravox opened with Astradyne in Edinburgh on the first night of their comeback tour.

Back in the early 80's, didn't they open all of their concerts with Astradyne? Or was it the last encore?
My memory isn't so good these days!

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Asyradyne always has been an awesome piece, I remember way back when I first heard it, knocked my sox off, and still does
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
ubikman
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Back in the early 80's, didn't they open all of their concerts with Astradyne?

Indeed they did. I saw them in NYC in the early 80s, at a club that is long gone, and although they went on @ 2 AM (!), they opened with "Astradyne" and from then on proceeded to put on a fantastic (if incredibly loud) show.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
geigertek
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Of course it's good - it's Ultravox. Enough said Smile Anyone see them live with John Foxx?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool tune. I never bought an Ultravox album. Heard various songs here and there. It may be time to download a bunch of their stuff to get better acquainted.

I'm a sucker for late 70s/early-to-mid 1980s synth-pop.

I'm listening to Astradyne right now. Reminds me a bit of Visage.

EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ultravox was main reason I switched to EM. Loved those synths.Ure and Currie, the synth player, were in Visage. Another fav of mine. Just recently bought the new Ultravox remasters....ahhhh....good memories....
Feb Birthed

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

That's right! I had a brain fart and forgot the about them being in Visage.

It's easier to get someone into a type of music if they start off with more "poppy" styles. Like finding Jarre and exploring some of the more "deep" 1970s stuff by Klaus S, TD, etc.

Depeche Modes Speak and Spell (1981) was the one that really set me off into eletronic dreamland. Plus Devo, early OMD, etc.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Gary Numan popped the cork with me leading into the gateway of synth POP music, The Cars, .Depeche Mode, OMD, Ultravox to name a few
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de