EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

new cover poll enigmas

walter rothe
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:59 pm    new cover poll enigmas Reply with quoteBack to top

do you like it?
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name    
Artemi
One of the Coolest Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As a fan of astronomy, I can't say I dislike any galaxy-related image. But frankly, I prefer the original.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's too much like other EM covers. The original is really nice.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I wish I could report something else, but honestly speaking, it wouldn't attract me too much as a listener.

Also, from a designers point of view, it doesn't seem very strong to me.

I think I can see some effort to use cosmic imagery (= conventional with cosmic music) and "update" this / give it a more contemporary approach by applying some digital edits - which is basically a good idea!

The result, however, still seems somewhat half-hearted to me: it rather "spills" the simple beauty of the stellar bodies without really adding something new / suprising / amazing / witty...whatever.

So I rather suggest to either take the "updating" a few steps further, or to return to the old cover (which I don't know yet, but others seem to do and to be able to connect to it...and vintage covers rule anyway, don't they...? Wink )

When will You need the cover art? If time is not too pressing, I'd be willing to lend a hand or give advice (being a graphical designer, I have already created quite a lot of album covers - for my own music in the first place, that is... Wink

P.S. Just googled the old cover - and find it much better. Perhaps not the best cover art ever either, but graphically stronger, and much more individual...IMHO, of course.

Interestingly I now see where some elements in the new cover come from (the green bars, the rectangle...) but those work better and are in a far more pleasant and suggestive proportion on the original layout...

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Guy designed the original cover too Smile so it may be revisiting rather than redesigning.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
Guy designed the original cover too Smile so it may be revisiting rather than redesigning.

The revisit aspect of course only is only obvious to those who are familiar with the original layout. But even then, to me it's far more attractive than the new one, even (or maybe because) it's "outdated". However, it also has this air of timelessness (maybe because if it's "retro modern art look"), while the new one already seems outdated, without the virtues and charmes of the original.

There's this tendency / seduction from the easy use of all of the FX of todays photo editing software etc. to believe to have a finished ("professional") product in a very short time, while doing a layout the oldfashioned way with humble paper, glue, ruler and pencil etc. can really help to develop something more focused and lasting (...just like often in electronic music these days, which I of course should "write behind my own ears" Wink )

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de