EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Christopher Cameron of Thought Guild RIP 1966-2011

betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:50 am    Christopher Cameron of Thought Guild RIP 1966-2011 Reply with quoteBack to top

It is with great sadness that today I have discovered the news of the passing of musician/synthesist Christopher Cameron.

He was 50% of the Thought Guild an improvised musical collaboration with the focus on vintage synthesizers.

---

Christopher passed away on August 22, 2011

44 years to early (1966-2011 RIP)

---

Although we had not kept in touch for many years I met Christopher back in 1999 when I moved to Connecticut. I was introduced to him thru Jim Cole and we began a mutual friendship based on our interest and passion for electronic music. He was one of the few people I knew heavily into Jean Michel Jarre, Kitaro and a plethora of odd new age music I was not aware of. He was a very cultured human being and was partially to blame for me finally appreciating Thai food and dark beer!

Christopher was a huge enthusiast of vintage synthesizer’s and had amassed quite a collection in his studio over the years(enough to make most analog synthesizer enthusiast drool). I was always perplexed that his generous love for the new age and electronic styles of music never drew him to release some personal music. After some coaxing we began to make little arrangements and jam at our studio’s while we kept the DAT recorder running. The live spontaneity eventually led to the genesis of the first Thought Guild release “Context” and then many years later the final release “Continuum”.

Not only was Christopher a music enthusiast but he had a great eye for photography(the cover for Context f/b where all his photos). I remember him as peaceful good hearted individual with a quirky laid back personality and a penchant for the philosophy found in Buddhism.

I have some unreleased music from our days recording as Thought Guild as well as some solo material he had always wanted released but never had time to. I hope to release the music in the near future with 100% proceeds going to the monastery he had decided to join.

www.legacy.com

Gregory
Alpha Wave Movement / Thought Guild

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is so very sad, i havent been in touch with Christopher for quite along time. I cant believe hes gone. We had several phone conversations and never met in person, he was very mellowed and laid back kind of a guy. I will never forget him. RIP Christopher you will be missed. I only wish i could have got to known him like Greg.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageAIM Address    
Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This indeed is another unfortunate loss;
Thank you Gregory for the additional notes. I'm glad I was able to conduct an interview with you two for E-dition magazine several years ago.

I already wondered if there would be any new Thought Guild release in the near future as I like the two collaborative albums quite a lot.
I sincerely hope the shelved material will indeed surface soon one way or the other..
Troubles on that much appreciated in advance.

Rest in Peace, Christopher.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

What a sad day, 44 is no age to die, RIP Christopher, thank you for the music.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad news, rest in peace Chris

betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks to everyone who's posting here with regards to Christopher's passing.

I agree it is a shame to be taken at such a young age but we are all here for a reason good or bad. He left his mark on me and the people with came in contact with.

Tho our music was not high profile I believe it had some + effects on listeners and thats exactly what he would have wanted and no less.

I will post information here on EMP when I have have the unreleased music available as I am sure many will appreciate it.

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very sad... I have one of the Thought Guild albums, which by a strange coincidence I played recently.

44 is terribly young to go...

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Impacts are closing in.

Take good care of yourself, whereever you may be now.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

What I find really nice here on the forum is that everyone regardless of age,country ethnicity focuses on the human aspects of electronic music, the people that actually make the music not just the machines.
ubikman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As with Barry Craig's recent passing, I was quite stunned, shocked & saddened when Greg told me this news. I think quite highly of the two Thought Guild releases, and certainly Chris could have continued to nurture his talent were it not cut so tragically short.

The one & only time I met Chris was when Scott Raymond brought him to a OTP show sometime last year. Chris struck me as a reserved, quiet guy yet quite personable & conversational. We didn't have a long time to chat, but did in fact discuss various aspects of EM, his own music, common interests, etc.

Another damn shame, and my condolences to his various friends & family.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Secret Music

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was shocked when Darren told me the news. I knew Chris a little, as we'd met on a few occasions and corresponded over the years. The most important thing I can say about him is that he was genuinely a kind soul and a nice person. Intelligent, kind, open minded, and a good sense of humor. He also happened to be a gifted musician who was all too humble about his talent. In addition to his work with Greg as Thought Guild, he released an album with Jim Cole and John Boiano as Expansion Project, and an album with Robert Dauphineis as TGXT, both of which I heartily recommend. Perhaps his best work has yet to see the light of day. Over a year ago, he gave me a CD of music he'd been working on. He wasn't sure if it was ready, or if he was happy with the results, and wanted my opinion. I told him it was brilliant space music as is, and didn't need any improving. A great human being, and a talented musician, who left us way too soon. Good luck, Christopher.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
richardgurtler
Cool Member

slovakia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you so much, Gregory, for sharing with us these terribly sad news and story on this forum. It looks like shocking news within our ambient community keep on coming. I am in the same age as Chris and it's really sad to see talented people leaving us in this young age. I got in contact with Chris via e-mail through your help few years ago, when searching for your co-work Thought Guild's "Continuum" album. I was lucky enough to be able to order this masterwork directly from Chris, so I am now a very proud owner of this album featuring even his personalized signature. This album will be always deeply treasured for me, just like the other "Context" album!!! Since then we remained in sporadic pen-pal contact.

Yes, it would be much appreciated when some unreleased material of Chris as well as of Thought Guild would be available in the future.

My condolences for the family and friends. Thank you, Chris, you will be deeply missed, rest in peace and have a safe journey!!!

Richard

Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thnx for the information, again one of our own has left this Earth, sad especially on that young age!! Warmest thoughts to all who loved and knew him.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
richardgurtler
Cool Member

slovakia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is one more picture of Christopher, taken from the website of Jim Cole/Spectral Voices.

Please note, on Jim Cole's website you can also download for free two albums of Expansion Project, one of them unreleased.

Link:
http://www.spectralvoices.com/expansion_project.htm

Thank you so much, Jim, for sharing this music with us!!!

Rest in peace and love, Chris!!!

Richard

Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Too young, too soon. Haven't heard his music before, but a brother has been taken from us. RIP (in heaven, your analog oscillators never drift out of tune and you never play a bum note...)
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de