EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Little Feat - WAITING FOR COLUMBUS

Craig Shipley
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:32 pm    Little Feat - WAITING FOR COLUMBUS Reply with quoteBack to top

Was listening to the excellent live 2-CD set that Rhino put out a few years ago last night and had forgotten that these two tracks have some pretty tasty Oberheim synth & electric piano bits in them, played by Bill Payne. That is probably since I tend to focus on the four tracks "Time Loves A Hero - Day Or Night - Mercenary Territory - Spanish Moon" that used to comprise side 3 in the LP days. Mercenary Territory has a great, powerful horn break in it (played by the Tower Of Power horns) and is highly recommended! Cool thing was that it was recorded at the Lisner Auditorium in Washington DC when I lived there. Sad thing was, I wasn't a fan back then and I missed it Sad Not like I would have gotten in to see the show, as Little Feat were a big favorite in DC and multiple shows would sell out in a heartbeat. Day @ The Dog Races is quite a bit longer than the studio version from TIME LOVES A HERO and probably deserves a mention on the Jazzy EM threads.

For the longest time, based on the cover shot of the LP, I thought that Payne was playing a Minimoog bu it just didn't look quite right, which i attributed to the 'live in concert' photo (c'mon, Craig! You really think that thick slab of sound was coming from a Mini? Anyone with half a brain-cell can tell it was an Oby 4-Voice! You can just about trademark that sound! Duh!. It wasn't until I got the Rhino re-master and Payne was talking about the Oberheim that I knew what it was (and you call yourself an anorak, bah!!! Some trainspotter you are!!! Tin ears...).

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de