EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

TD Box Set

24db
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:34 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

ps. ALL of the tracklistings on 99% of the websites are wrong and have typos, the above is corrected as much as possible.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I feel a bit ambivalent about this boxset:

On the one hand, I'd really love to hear the Phaedra outtake stuff because, to me, this is the most important album in TD's discography.

On the other hand, though, I am not too keen on buying another re-run of albums I already have (be they re-mastered for the umpteenth time or not). I don't own a BluRay player, and I do not own a Dolby 5.1 installation either.

Not too keen on the bootleg stuff either as I know that even TD also had not-so-glorious moments on stage (in fact, when listening to the Tangerine Tree recordings, there were plenty of those moments).

I think I will wait and see...

Stephen

PS: Sequent C would always be stereo, I would have thought...

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

SEQUENT C' has been remixed by Steven Wilson in Stereo plus 5.1 and Stereo 96K/24 bit, all produced using the original multi-track mastertapes.

Last edited by 24db on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

BTW the RAH concert is the first time this has been released complete - as in with the entire lengthy John Peel introduction, AND the end part from the mastertape (rather than previous versions which had to use a fan tape). Above and beyond this, this is the first time it's been heard in STEREO, and mixed by Phil Newell in 1975.

Re PHAEDRA there are 90 minutes of outtakes.

Oedipus Tyrannus (6 tracks - the complete recording) now runs 75 minutes.

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The set also includes the ONLY existing real mastertape of TD at Coventry Cathedral (34 minutes) - no BOOTLEG recordings are in the set at all.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:
full info here, sans emojis

Did you know you can disable these on a per post basis ("Disable Smilies in this post")? I did that for your post, so it looks good now.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:05 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

many thanks Wink

thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It has arrived in rural Tayside.

Oh ya beauty Cool Cool Cool

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Rapsodies

france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« thirdsystem » wrote:

Please do tell us what the sound quality is like. According to the Amazon MP3 excerpts, to which I listened this morning, it could be way better than the Official Bootleg release (the Reims and the Mannheim concerts, I mean) that had disappointed me so much. If you confirm that the outtakes CDs and the concert CDs all sound fine, not suffocated as in the Reims and the Mannheim concerts, I'll order the box-set at once.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The quality is surprisingly good, even for 45 year old recordings! ie: the Phaedra outtakes.

The Outtakes are a mixed bag. Think i can safely say Phaedra was assembled from different takes here and there at times parts of the album do surface, other parts sound like practice runs. Outtake Version 2A is kind of weird starting with cymbal splashes, tibetan bells and then piano before going into a kind of demo run for mysterious semblance, ending with Peter doing those EMS Synthi modulated chattering voices you hear on movements of a visionary.

One of the other outtakes (Phaedra) also sounds like a practice run of sequent C with Peter on a flute or is it a treble recorder ? While outtake 2B you can hear Franke's modular vastly out of tune while running a sequence (maybe intentional, maybe not) but they did say once that it took several hours to tune the moog modular each day! (or was that keep it in tune)

The Concert discs are all Manor Mobile soundboard recordings. Incidentally you can also find a soundboard recording of the Glasgow Kelvin Hall concert from 1974 (not complete though on youtube) as the recording was made by Radio Clyde.

However the 3 tracks taken from the 70-80 box are a bit out of place! (Barryl Blue, Haunted Heights & Chimes & Chains)

There is a lot to listen to, but i am hoping there will be unreleased material during TD's Ohr years, like that Alert track 24db spoke of in his blog!

thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

l
« Rapsodies » wrote:
« thirdsystem » wrote:

Please do tell us what the sound quality is like. According to the Amazon MP3 excerpts, to which I listened this morning, it could be way better than the Official Bootleg release (the Reims and the Mannheim concerts, I mean) that had disappointed me so much. If you confirm that the outtakes CDs and the concert CDs all sound fine, not suffocated as in the Reims and the Mannheim concerts, I'll order the box-set at once.

Hey Rapsodies, I wont get a chance to listen properly till Sat afternoon at the earliest. I am hearing this box set may be sold out at Universal already so could be a - grab it when you can just in case scenario. Who knows if there will be a reissue.

Really looking forward to it, have to say.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered my copy a couple of weeks ago.

Arrived today (alas, I was too late for the Rubycon poster, bummer). Phaedra sounds remarkably fresh and detailed (although I cannot exactly spot any significant differences between the original version and Steve Wilson's Stereo Mix...).

The outtakes do sound interesting as well -- they illustrate how the threesome must have worked in order to pin down ideas. Those recordings sound like contemporary concert recordings, and one thing is for certain:

What these three chaps achieved with a cumbersome rig made up of Mellotron, Farfisa, EMS Synthi, and Moog is a hundred times more impressive and emotionally satisfying than any of those out-of-the-box EM albums, churned out by the dozen, that I have listened to for the past two decades (mine included... probably).

The illustrated book is also quite nice to browse through while listening. Couldn't help thinking how much these aesthetics have had an influence on my own perception of the genre and the way it is (or rather should be)performed.

Stephen

Rapsodies

france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ordered on the Female Warrior of the Antiquity (you know that website, everyone does).

On the web page, they said there were only 5 copies left so I didn't wait. This figure may be a lie as on so many web pages (plane ticket booking websites, for example), but I wanted a copy, anyway. So, I ordered my copy, returned to the web page, refreshed it and saw there were only 4 left. Maybe this figure was true.

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Jerome is not too happy about the fact that his mother is not mentioned in the box set. Quite understandable reaction!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very impressed with this - I've not had an LP-sized box set in absolutely years - brings back many memories of holding a tangible object related to the music (Que: discussion on how awful mp3s and digital steaming is...) the book is lovely and the first 3 Phaedra discs are very interesting. Loving the out-takes but I had trouble with skipping during the remixed original album tracks at the end of disc 1 - a very long duration disc and this is probably my PC CD player acting up.

Looking forward to getting the TV room free to listen to the 5.1 discs on the home cinema system...

Very happy so far!

My Life has Come

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de