EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Casshern

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:14 pm    Casshern Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone seen this post-apocalyptic, retro-futuristic movie by Kazuaki Kiriya?

Some of the symbolism of it somehow escapes me (as with most asian arthouse movies - different culture and not enough time to research and fully understand), althought there is an underlying message that even I can understand.

Why recommend it then? Because it looks stunning. This is one of those overwhelming movies that burn themselves into your memory just for looking absolutely gorgeous (Some pictures here).

It is retro-futuristic. Imagine 1920's (Art-Deco or Jugendstil) design mixed with sci-fi elements. A bit like "Dune" (the movie) only 100x better. Almost 2,5 hours of mindblowing eye-candy

Oh, and the soundtrack is incredible too. Still have to do some research on some of the tracks. Maybe even buy the soundtrack (which I hardly ever do...)

Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nobody?
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never heard of this film. The images linked to certainly look great, though, somewhat reminiscent of Bryan Talbot's alien victorians story in "Nemesis the Warlock"

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM Address    
solitaryzen
One of the Coolest Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds great - must investigate!
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vietgrove » wrote:
I've never heard of this film. The images linked to certainly look great, though, somewhat reminiscent of Bryan Talbot's alien victorians story in "Nemesis the Warlock"

Casshern only has "real" people in it, combined with a lot of organic looking mechanics. What I like best about it is it's retro-futurisric scenery and design. For instance, there is a gigantic steam train in this movie, that could have been designed in the 1920's except that it's tens of meters wide, and runs on at least eight parallel tracks.

It's the screwed up visual details that make this movie worth looking at for 2,5 hours

Oh, and the soundtrack, like I mentioned before, is great. Anywhere between pure EM and heavy metal...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2014 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2014 CBACK.de