EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

“BS”

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:12 pm    “BS” Reply with quoteBack to top

How would you define the genre ‘Berlin School’ in your own words?

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Repetitive 70s sequencer stuff. Cool

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Everything that TD, KS, Ashra, Michael Hoenig and a few others did between 1972 and 1983 - and what generations of copycats still keep on do produce in the same vein.

Which includes a typical sort of sequencer music, but - to me, for one - actually also much more... Wink

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

And if we focus on the words ‘repetitive’ and ‘typical sort of sequencer music’ could you comment on this?

https://twitter.com/emportal

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like to think more along the lines of hypnotic rather than repetitive.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Explaining BS with " ‘repetitive’ and ‘typical sort of sequencer music’ " does not fit...

the sequences are not ‘repetitive’, but evolve over time.
‘typical sort of sequencer music’ ... not all BS have sequences.

I would say BS is the music TD, KS, Ashra, Michael Hoenig and a few others did between 1970 and 1979.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
thirdsystem

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For me it means Tangerine Dreamlike, 70s up to early 80s. This is definitive. And I do emphasise......for me.

Also contributed to massively by KS, Hoenig and the others mentioned.

Hypnotic and evolving, great descriptions.

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In some ways I think I surf the sequences in a similar way to how I've seen other music genre lovers surf the beats of their favourite sounds.

I'm afraid I have no definition of what makes a sequence work for me - even ones that sound similar may just not catch my board....

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"Hypnotic" instead of "repetitive" - oh, yes, please! Very Happy

Of course, sometimes the desired effect isn't fully realised, so only the better examples of the genre really achieve that, but definitely that would be the goal...

I like to think of BS as sounding immersive, introspective, cosmic, vast, eternal...

...while other varieties of electronic music - which also make use of sequences (that are, per definition, of course always "repetitive") - tend to evoke other feelings or notions, like urbanity, modern life, or other contemporary topics of human life...

So, what's distinguishing in the first place isn't any technique as such, but the feeling(s) conveyed.

Syn
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

berlin school for me is all about atmospherics, creating the mood, setting the tone.

as for sequencer side of things, it's backdrop to your sonic painting. it helps move
those tone colours around on your canvas.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:
berlin school for me is all about atmospherics, creating the mood, setting the tone.

as for sequencer side of things, it's backdrop to your sonic painting. it helps move
those tone colours around on your canvas.

Nicely put Very Happy

Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Fascinating - for me BS is all about the sequences! The atmospherics, drones and tones all act as the bedrock for the sequence to stand upon.

So what would everyone say is the 'archetypal' BS track? Because it sounds like BS is different things to different people - even Wikipedia re-directs a 'Berlin School of electronic music' search to 'Krautrock.'

My definition would be to listen to Patrolling Space Borders, or the first Redshift album, or rmi's 'Raw Cane Approach' from the Republic album or British Aisles by FSP.... Smile

My Life has Come

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:
[...] So what would everyone say is the 'archetypal' BS track? [...]

Rubycon Part One and Phaedra.

Still giving me goosebumps after 40 years...

But so does Zeit...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:
So what would everyone say is the 'archetypal' BS track?

Not tracks, but albums: Ricochet, Rubycon, Timewind and Mirage.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:
So what would everyone say is the 'archetypal' BS track?

Funny enough, although I of course agree to some mentioned above (Timewind, Rubycon, Mirage etc.) even as a young person I thought that Michael Hoenig's "Departure from the Northern Wasteland" was THE blueprint for this type of music. Like he very consciously embedded all the characteristics and elements that had been discovered by TD, KS and a few others a few years earlier (in a slightly wilder, improvisational and - comparatively - formative way) and built a more formal, organized composition from that raw material...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de