EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Has MusicZeit gone out of business?

ech3
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:24 pm    Has MusicZeit gone out of business? Reply with quoteBack to top

The link I have now redirects to a dummy "domain available" page.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
SolarPlexus
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

That has been the case for a few weeks now.

At first it looked like they didn't extend their hosting subscription.

My guess is that time was a major issue. SMD as their physical counterpart seems
to have taken a more important role, especially with all the new Neu Harmony releases on cd-r.

I did notice that there were very little new (and interesting) releases through MusicZeit for some time already.

Downside was also, that only FLAC or MP3 files were available, as was the fact that they were reasonably expensive compared to Bandcamp (where you can download all formats you want after purchase)

CDBaby has disqualified itself also (for me anyway) since they have switched to MP3 320 downloads only (cd's are subject to too much shipping costs)

ech3
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah, I wasn't aware CD Baby had gotten rid of their FLAC downloads. What the hell?

The flipside for the US is that SMD is outrageously priced. ($18 for 19-day shipping, LOL!)

That pretty much leaves Bandcamp and only Bandcamp. And that's fine with me.

VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ech3 » wrote:
Ah, I wasn't aware CD Baby had gotten rid of their FLAC downloads. What the hell?

Me neither.
Apparently it was done "In order to create a more consistent customer experience (...)".
LOL and WTF.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VinceL
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ech3 » wrote:

I discovered this info several weeks ago. I sent them a message inquiring as to why they no longer offered a lossless format. I got the standard "consistent customer experience" response. I told them that by only offering MP3's they lost me as a customer.

As far as MusicZeit, I had tried their URL a few times over the past several weeks. I just assumed that Mr. Law is no longer interested in offering downloads.

I'm glad to see that Groove seems to be expanding their download offerings.

Shipping for CD's from the UK and the Netherlands to the US has gotten so expensive. The vast majority of my music purchases are now from Bandcamp. It's great to see that bands like RMI and FSP are releasing their entire back catalogs as well as previously unreleased recordings on Bandcamp.

I may get flamed for this but....are the shipping charges being padded to build in some extra profit? When I bought the new ['ramp] CD from Stephen or some CD's from RicochetDream on Discogs (shipped from Poland) the shipping charges were reasonable. Are German and Polish postage rates significantly lower than the UK or the Netherlands?

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="VinceL"]
« ech3 » wrote:
[...] Are German and Polish postage rates significantly lower than the UK or the Netherlands?

Speaking for Germany, I am keeping my fingers crossed for them to remain reasonably affordable in the future. National shipping rates are about to be increased later this year but I hope international shipping will not be affected (albeit I have little hope...).

In the past, it used to be the other way round (before the Euro was introduced): I remember collecting orders and going to the Netherlands once a month to ship lots to countries outside Germany because postage was significantly lower in the Netherlands.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Shipping costs from the USA
to the UK have become horrendous Shocked

Add into that Import VAT,
and sadly it's just no longer viable to order CDs from the USA.

The only glimmer of light last year
was CD Baby doing one cent for International Delivery on orders of 3 CDs or more....
....but I still got clobbered with import VAT when my order arrived.... Sad

It's sure becoming expensive these days to be a collector of physical media when it comes to music... Rolling Eyes

ech3
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I checked again recently, Musiczeit is now some generic blog about dance music.

My guess is the domain became available and this site grabbed it.

So, yes it appears that the old Musiczeit we knew is long gone.

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

When I was on FB I read messages of David Law where he was promoting CDR's based material again. Also he requested for new artists and/or new material to be released on his record label.

terjewi
Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

MusicZeit is indeed shut down. I got a confirmation from David Law about this.

Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

But http://synthmusicdirect.com/ lives on!

My Life has Come

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:

It certainly does, and long may it continue to do so... Wink

Some great albums coming out at the moment on Neu Harmony...
.... Ken Martin, Lensflare, Son of Ohm, Ansatheus, Tom Hawkins....
to name but a few, and to the unenlightened, I recommend them all.... Very Happy

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:49 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« terjewi » wrote:
MusicZeit is indeed shut down. I got a confirmation from David Law about this.

Not a great loss, imho. Their prices were way too high and their download policy was not very generous. On top of that, most artists that were so far exclusively available on MusicZeit have made the move to Bandcamp now. The idea was good, the execution could have been better.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
[...] On top of that, most artists that were so far exclusively available on MusicZeit have made the move to Bandcamp now. [...]

I think many of them might have had a very good reason to do so -- never had any problems myself but I know some people who did.

Which, in the end, prompted them to leave.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:
Some great albums coming out at the moment on Neu Harmony...
.... Ken Martin, Lensflare, Son of Ohm, Ansatheus, Tom Hawkins....
to name but a few, and to the unenlightened, I recommend them all.... Very Happy

For the record: these are cd-r's and (for the most part) also available on Bandcamp.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de