EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Bridge To Imla, The Radiant Sea, review on Echoes Zine

Bert
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

my review is in the works since a couple of days...

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bert » wrote:

Oha! Shocked I can feel the suspense rising! We are awaiting Your judgement with trembling excitement!

And of course: thanks for Your attention, Your effort and the heads-up, Bert! Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
thirdsystem

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a stunning piece of work. Congratulations Michael and Hans.

Download obtained and the Seetyca -Winter Light album also.

Absolutely superb albums.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bert » wrote:

Bert, thank You VERY much for Your positive review, also from Hans-Dieter and the Label!

I'll share it below in a seperate post! Very Happy

« thirdsystem » wrote:
This is a stunning piece of work. Congratulations Michael and Hans.

Absolutely superb albums.

Oh! Shocked Thank You very much!!! For Your friendly feedback, and of course also for the purchase... Very Happy

And for this very friendly mention over at the "Hypnos" forum

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=3286.500

Winter-Light pointed it out to us the other day - of course, such support is IMMENSELY appreciated!!!

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

We are very (like in VERY very) happy about Bert Strolenberg's positive review of "The Radiant Sea" for his page Sonic Immersion.

Thank You very much, Bert!

http://www.sonicimmersion.org/review.php?letter=B&review=73606

BRIDGE TO IMLA
The Radiant Sea
CD/DIGITAL DOWNLOAD, Winter-Light Records, 2017

Bridge to Imla is a project by the German duo Michael Brückner and Hans-Dieter Schmidt who started collaborating occasionally since 2012. At first glance exploration and discovery seem central themes throughout the deep ambient trip making up "The Radiant Sea".

The origins of the latter hail back to August 2013 when Michael Brückner created the dark ambient track "All the Weight of the Sun" for a compilation that dealt with the (then recent) nuclear disaster in Fukushima, Japan. Whilst working on that track, Michael created hours of different ambient textures, most of which remained unused. Later that same year, Hans-Dieter and Michael started to make plans for recording a collaborative release, and those unused soundscapes formed the raw material for what would end up as "The Radiant Sea" (on which mastering expert Robert Rich would put the icing on the cake in the final stage).

And an adventurous, highly mesmerizing and imaginary aural adventure it is, matching beautifully with the fantastic album cover art. The alchemy of gentle waves, slight foreboding tapestries, captivating spherics and washes of emotive textures presented to the listener are compelling from start to finish. In addition, occasional ghostly/otherworldly plains are traversed along haunting passages of ascent and descent in the continuous gliding aural vortex. And there’s the organic, almost tactile component running underneath the continuous soundscape making things shift to another dimension quite regularly.

The aforementioned make the 74-minute "The Radiant Sea" a strong contender for headphone listening and deep listening aficionados.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

GOOD NEWS!!! Mr. Green

Finally today the physical copies of "The Radiant Sea" arrived from the pressing plant at Winter Light and are starting to ship out to customers soon! Smile

The label and us (and hopfully also the pressing plant who caused it in the first place) apologize for the delay! Embarassed

Looking very much forward to see the REAL CD finally myself, too... Laughing

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice Michael, im guessing my copy will be sent when you receive them?
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
Nice Michael, im guessing my copy will be sent when you receive them?

Yes - of course. All is prepared here since weeks now, we're just waiting for our artist copies to finally arrive, being on tenterhooks all the time... Shocked

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Uwe Saße wrote a very positive review of Bridge To Imla's debut album "The Radiant Sea" on www.sequenzerwelten.de.

Read it (in German) here - or my (rough) English translation below:

http://www.sequenzerwelten.de/brueckner_main.html

Bridge To Imla - (Michael Brückner & Hans-Dieter Schmidt) - The Radiant Sea

Wow, if already the cover artwork is that great, the music also has to be cool!
…and indeed it is - excellent, in fact!

The origin of the -The Radiant Sea- lies already some years in the past: already in 2013 the "foundation stone" was laid or rather played. So I really do not want to say anything more about the story, but I'll be right with the music, because it just turned out to be awesome.
Hans-Dieter Schmidt and Michael Brückner have created an incredibly fine dark ambient album, which has received the so-called icing on the cake via the mastering of noone else but Rober Rich.

The theme of the music is not exactly a happy one, since it’s about the nuclear disaster at Fukushima; this, and the pollution of our the oceans caused by humans in general were implemented very well here.

What surprised me a little bit, is how differently I perceive the music from listen to listen: depending on my mood - and I really had different mood swings - sometimes the music seemed to me more and sometimes less dark (the topic, however, is of course really very dark).
Since the release of the download version, I had listened to the the album many times - and every time I felt something different … a mind movie if ever there was… Smile

-The Radiant Sea - is one of the best EM albums in 2017, and also the best advertisement for the dark ambient genre, and should not be missing in any electronic music collection. A masterpiece by Hans-Dieter Schmidt and Michael Brückner !!!

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Michael Hodgson wrote a wonderful review of Bridge To Imlas's debut album 'The Radiant Sea' for progarchives.com.

4.5 of 5 stars is a very respectable rating that you don't receive any day! Shocked

WOO-HOOO!!! Mr. Green

'This first Bridge to Imla album can be considered among some of the very best works of both Mr Brückner and Mr Schmidt to date, being an impeccably performed and captivating long-form atmospheric piece that never loses momentum or ceases moving in different directions, and it always retains great humanity and genuine emotion.'

Read the full, detailed review here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1846742

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

BIG thanks to Russian reviewer (and btw. excellent ambient artist) Anton Uraletz, who reviewed Bridge To Imla’s „The Radiant Sea“ very positively for Russian KLEM online magazine (not to be confused with the classic Dutch print magazine Wink ).

Read the original review (in Russian) here, or my (rough and probably poor, Google Translate - „powered“ translation below)

http://klem.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=275529

BRIDGE TO IMLA is a joint project of two Germans, Michael Brückner and Hans-Dieter Schmidt. The name of the project is intricately composed of the English equivalent of the Germanic language root "brücke", ie. "Bridge", and the name of the solo project by Hans, IMAGINARY LANDSCAPE. Were they Russian-speaking, this project would be called Kuznetsk Most (German "schmidt" - "blacksmith"), and the boys would finally be guys.

In fact, the project is already 4+ years old (and Michael and HaDi did already cooperate 8 years ago), and the musicians slowly and unhurriedly went to their first full-length album. The release took place in the Dutch label Winter-Light, which is specialized in digipacks and ambient music (STROM NOIR, SEETYCA, etc.), therefore, in addition to the digital version on Bandcamp, there is also a digipack for CD lovers.

The album turned out to be mixed with the topic of pollution of the Pacific Ocean (which seems to me a rather insignificant problem - I think even if the whole human race with all its factories is drowned in this ocean, then nothing will be done to the ocean), so the compositions are named after underwater currents, mountain massifs on its bottom and other geo- and oceanographic objects. Judging by the press release, "The Radiant Sea" is dark ambient, although in my opinion there is nothing really dark in it, and both musicians never gravitated towards this style.

The direction given from the very beginning, on the track "Prologue: The Kuroshio Current", remains more or less unchanged throughout the entire album: a diverse electronic world that is created from many pads, filter effects and ghostly melodic lines creating a halo of mystery in the conditions of some gloominess (as befits the underwater world). The music is very cinematic, and brilliantly suited to landscape photography of the Pacific Ocean - in fact, the album itself is an imaginary journey from Fukushima (which inspired the whole CD) to the west coast of the United States. The listener seems to "hover" in the thickness of this ocean of sound, surrounded by a kaleidoscope of slowly shimmering chiaroscuros and shades (for example, "Louisville Ridge" and "Emerald Fracture Zone" sound almost like new age).

The material, in general, turned out to be quite electronic-progressive: neither Brueckner nor Schmidt constrained themselves by any frame, preferring free sound, in which organically interwoven are consonances (that in itself) and dissonances (which is not obtained at all). Progressiveness is particularly advanced in the 5.5-minute "The Humboldt Current" - there are ambients and flutes with piano and violin, and atonality is woven into a single plot, prominently out of the general canvas "The Radiant Sea", and bringing the listener to the finale plates.

I have not seen any weak points here at all; the sublime harmonious sketch "Hikurangi Plateau", the piano inserts in "Shatsky Rise", "Mariana Trench" and "Raukumara Plain", deep-ambient, mesmerizing with its pausing "Richards Deep" and heartfelt the opening of the soundscape of the next (and already mentioned) "Raukumara Plain", as well as the balanced-voluminous sound of the album, mastered by Robert Rich.

In short, the debut album BRIDGE TO IMLA - a serious and very solid ambient-canvas, and one of the best albums I heard in 2017. Bravo Michael, bravo HaDi!!!

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Our label, Winter-Light, found a review today on a blog called Vital Weekly that already has appeared in late December, it seems...

I quite like that review, not only Wink because the reviewer (who's full name, btw. I can't find on that page) is merciful, but also because I find his urban, intellectual writing style quite refreshing.

You can have a look directly on the page, or read the complete review below:

http://www.vitalweekly.net/1112.html

BRIDGE TO IMLA - THE RADIANT SEA (CD by Winter-Light)

When starting to write this review I double checked if I got it all right (and it’s something I don’t always do, I know), but Bridge to Imla is really the name of the project, a duo f Hans-Dieter Schmidt and Michael Brückner, who started this year, following a wide experience in the own rights and playing around with the ambient group improvisations in Frankfurt. Before Schmidt, a keyboard and flute players, was a member of Finnigan’s Wake and Feinbein from 1977 to 1984 and since 1986 he works as Imaginary Landscape, whereas Michael Brückner started in 1992 and has released a whole string of albums with “Berlin school” sound, that true Tangerine Dream styled synth music. Many of these were self-released but since a few years also by other labels.

Here they have fifteen pieces of straightforward ambient music of a very rich nature. The music started life in 2013 when Brückner recorded a piece of music for a thematic compilation about the nuclear disaster in Fukushima, Japan and ended up with a lot extra, unused work, which became the starting point for ‘The Radiant Sea’, with Schmidt adding his instruments and ideas. And rich it is; not just some long form sustaining synthesizers, but also blending in some real instruments. Here the tinkle of a piano, and over there a bunch of strings. While the music is no doubt dark and the background grim (nuclear disasters, the pollution of the pacific, radiation) I must admit that if one is not thinking of that, and take the music out of any context (I am not sure if the musicians would allow or even be happy with such a thing of course) this is some beautiful music. It could also be the soundtrack about the beautiful life below the surface of the ocean. Maybe it is the time of the year that made me want to think more positively about such things, but it also has to do with the fact that I very much believe that music works best without any context and perhaps it is post-modern to think so but that everyone is free to think up their own story when playing music. The tracks on this release flow right into each other but yet have different titles, and not ‘The Radiant Sea part 1 to 15’. Why this is I am not sure about, but maybe this is indeed something of more soundtrack like proportions, that moves from one scene to the next.

Musicwise, in terms of something new, this is in a very safe place; there is nothing in here that is radically new or different, but who cares? It works wonderfully well. (FdW)

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Another review of "The Radiant Sea" came in, this time by Sylvain Lupari, and even if he admits that he's not a big fan of deep ambient, he concludes:

"An album very rich in tones and in colors of sounds which should undoubtedly please the aficionados of the genre."

Read the full - as usually with Sylvain extended and poetic - review (in English or French) here:

http://synthsequences.blogspot.de/2018/01/bridge-to-imla-radiant-sea-2017.html

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The stream of positive reviews of "The Radiant Sea" still doesn't seem to cease, here's another one (and rather thoughtful and well-written it is, too!) by Michael Barnett for his online magazine "This Is Darkness".

He concludes:

"Bridge To Imla delivered a strong debut. An album which could have only been created by artists with a lifetime’s experience in the field of ambient soundscapes."

If You like, read the full review in the link below...

http://www.thisisdarkness.com/2018/02/02/bridge-imla-radiant-sea-review/

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The other day, a very positive review of Bridge To Imla’s debut album appeard in „Echoes“, an online magazine from the Czech Republik - lot’s of thanks to reviewer Jan Koumal for that! Smile

For the original review (in Czech), see here:

http://www.echoes-zine.cz/ozveny/nihilcut-2

Below You find a somewhat rustic Google translation of the original review, but I guess You’ll get the drift Wink

Right from the first recording of the second sequel, Nihilcut is very enthusiastic. Bridge To Imla, this is an old German ambient school and an intoxicating union of two major people in the country. They are experienced skaters, lords Hans-Dieter Schmidt and Michael Brückner. They gave their heads, their electronic equipment and, most of all, the lighting for one concept together, resulting in the album The Radiant Sea.

An album whose creative beginnings can be dated to 2013 when Hans-Dieter participated in the Fukushima Drones compilation, which has been working on the subject of a known nuclear disaster in recent years. Also, the album The Radiant Sea comes its story around this Japanese power plant. On one side it points to moments and disasters caused by man, because he is guilty and destroys the planet itself. In this case, the Pacific, as a far-flung territory with different adventures, and also as a place celebrated by this recording. And that's the other side of The Radiant Sea coin.

We find ourselves in the presence of endless ditches and chasms, beautiful, mysterious and endless. In the depths of the ocean, one is absorbed in a thrilling environment and literally touches something that forces them to think over their own malice. And perhaps even the easy loss of self-control or concentration. It may be Fukushima, or even a much larger accident than what would happen to trigger a series of devastation processes of all the beautiful places the Pacific offers.

The Radiant Sea is a gentle, atmosphericly nourishing ambient work that absorbs both the beauty of the dark blue depths and the raised index finger in the sense of thinking about human action. The album defines both of these locations. The inferior is shrouded by submarine labyrinths of rock overhangs, and places that man hardly ever reaches. There is also a violin, submarine-led melancholy in response to the enchantment of the vast undersea scenery. In this direction, Alb is often a line of optimistic mood that accompanies fragile electronics to some where the presence of all of us is forbidden. Somewhere in the distance there are places that have to do us just because they are.

The second, with its more natural and more attention-grabbing, demanding position, is the more sinister. Though, this may be too sharp a word. Let's just say the other face of the album is more restless. Again very detailed and believable. As soon as the first warning of leakage radiation starts, I recall the Poles Job Karma and their Tschernobyl. It's already my deviation, which sparks in your head spontaneously. So if you're going to focus your attention on the colorful ambient environment, I must definitely recommend the Bridge To Imla project. Here you can not walk next to it and you can swim in it.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de