EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Edgar Froese - Force Majeure Autobiography

xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

And when you read one or 2 pages randomly, what is your feeling? Interesting?
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting, erm... grammar and spelling, at least in the German version (I'd rather not picture the translation into English...). Froese definitely stretched the boundaries not only in musical terms.

Seriously, though, I'd have spent another 500 Euros on some proper proof-reading as this tends to look a bit pathetic at times.

In terms of contents, it's surprisingly comprehensive. Was it well worth the wait? Not exactly sure about that (ordered and paid on 7th September 2014). Would I spend 70 quid on it? Most probably not.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
wmri
Very Cool Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've ordered the book 27.01.2014. The waiting continues...
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't give up...with your cosmic location, Mr Froese might deliver it personally.

My Life has Come

RogerS
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« wmri » wrote:
I've ordered the book 27.01.2014. The waiting continues...

Contact Eastgate that you didn't receive the book

Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I finally received it.

I think the correct title for the book should be "Force Majeure 1967 - 1990".

Seems to be mostly about the 70s and 80s, which is a bit disappointing for a fan like me, who discovered the band in 1991.

But on the other hand...of course I look forward to reading the book.

I sneak-peaked a bit through the book, and found it interesting that Edgar and Franke had a 10 minute meeting in LA in 1989 about further collaboration. After that, they never talked again.

wmri
Very Cool Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually it arrived the day I decided to write about it. I've already had the notice to receive the package, but I didn't know it was it. And it is quite heavy - 1.5 kg I didn't think the book would be large encyclopedia format. Happy to have it!
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Got mine a week ago...it's HUGE amount of text, a big book in every way. I have read about half of it now and it is very verynteresting read. Of course you have to make the effort to go thru Edgar's a bit "convoulted" style, but all in all very positive surprise. Not too many happy memories, but it has clearly been hard work to keep things moving. Luckily there's a lot of info on band dynamics and it is refreshing to see that Edgar portrays everybody in a way that feels rather honest and human. That doesn't mean that he praises them much, more like everybody gets as direct handling as everybody else Smile. For example Mr. Franke gets a very fair portrayal in my view, just like the others (Jerome, sadly, gets the short end of the stick, though...like does Jollife). But a lots of very detailed info on most tours and albums. Too bad he couldn't finish all sections...i would very much liked to have read similarly detailed stories about the Ohr era and the cathedral tour. But this will have to do. Lots of surprising (for some) info about the musical duties in the band on some key recordings and tours. And now we know why Rheims 1974 sounds a bit hesitant and almost devoid of sequencing...and why RAH 1975 first part doesn't work that well..and...and... Smile.
Cheers, Ami

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
wmri
Very Cool Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like no matter that I was as early as January, I'm not in first 500 buyers, so got only short EP. Who has got the album Light Flux along? Original offer included unique compilation that should've been available only to early buyers of book. But both Light Flux album and EP are available to everybody for additional money.
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I just started on the massive Bowie chapter...

Anyone having finished the book?

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

ANYWAY, I finally finished the book. Of course a hugely fascinating read, all the way from Dali in the first chapter, a man Edgar clearly was in awe of. Sadly, the book doesn't tell the full story of TD. Edgar writes in detail about the 70s and 80s, but rushes through the 90s in one single chapter, and there isn't really anything about the new millennium. But of course his untimely death had everything to do with that.

I was curious how Edgar would write about Franke in the book. I think Edgar is quite fair with him, after all they played together for 16 years, and it shines through that musically they were even partners with quite a bit in common. Of course, sarcasm is a thing Edgar is quite fond of, but I feel almost everyone in the book (minus Bowie!) gets a share of it, not just Franke.

Speaking of Bowie, I think the chapter about him is way too lomg. Sure, Edgar was clearly a big fan of him, but 25 pages in his own autobiography?? You can say what you want, but I think Edgar all the way through his career liked to mingle a bit with people who were more famous than himself. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not neccessarily what the readers are most interested in reading about.

I liked the chapters about film soundtracks like Thief, Risky Business, Firestarter and Shy People, and also about projects that DIDN'T materialize, like Oliver Stone's The Hand. Chapter 41 is an enigma, though, what kind of movie was this about, that TD scored during two weeks in the US autumn 86? Edgar mentions the film producer's name as Moshe Silverman/Silverstein, but imdb lists no one with that name. Puzzling.

Some of the 80s studio albums are not really mentioned at all, like White Eagle, Hyperborea, Le Parc, Underwater Sunlight and Tyger. Strange, it seems like Edgar is more interested in writing about the different tours and concerts. Maybe it's because they generated more stories and happenings?

Haslinger receives mostly praise, Jim Rakete too, Schmoelling a little less praise, music journalist Karl Dallas even less, while record label bosses are the worst for Edgar. During the three pages of chapter 45, "Arrogance And Power", Edgar states five times that the record label boss was fat. OK, maybe he was, but I don't think that detail should be interesting for the readers. It is also quite clear that the time with Jerome in the band was not a particularly easy time for Edgar. He even mentions that the fans didn't particularly like TD's 90s stuff - I think t's quite rare that he goes into detail about this, as I always was under the impression that Edgar composed what he wanted and that he didn't really care too much what the fans said.

What I perhaps like best about Edgar's writing, is how he amusingly lashes out towards the musical purists who could only accept classical music, or rock music with conventional instruments. Edgar is a strong defender of electronic music, one that the world needs more than one of, especially now that he is gone.

The two words "slightly irritated" can be read numerous times throughout the book, as well as "scrambled eggs " and "coffee".
And Edgar is not a big fan of his homeland Germany. I guess he was more a citizen of the world.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing your views on the book, Jon. It helps in deciding if I want to spend money on Edgar's autobiography.

It's a pity to see that Edgar apparently doesn't always give the people he worked with as much praise as they deserve. In my opinion it was Edgar who started the fire, but without (especially) Franke and Schmoelling TD wouldn't got the fame they eventually got. I mean the highly praised albums of the (late) 70's: it's for a large part Franke (as can be heard on his solo music). The successes of Poland, Logos, White Eagle, Exit... basically everything during his stint with TD: it's purely Schmoelling.

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Good review, Jon Smile My feelings are basically the same about the book, having read it a while ago (and some bits a couple of times). My interest in definetly is in the first half of the book and I agree that it seems that Edgar hasn´t got too many happy memories about the definitive years of his career. But it is fascinating read and you get loads of inside information of things you thought you were familiar with. I think the carachterisations he gives on people, especially Peter and Chris, are very revealing. Edgar´s style is very colourful and rambling, but many things the fans have constructed in their minds because of the vague information so far and assumptiuons, are laid bare and were actually much simpler and direct in real life. The main theme of the book seems to me to be that it all was a hell of a struggle:)

xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The encounter with Schulze and the separation with TD is worth to purchase the book.
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
The main theme of the book seems to me to be that it all was a hell of a struggle:)

Yes, I agree with that.

One thing I forgot to mention was Monika Froese. I had no idea that she was so central for TD all the way from 1970 to 2000. I thought she just designed some covers, but she was almost like a manager of some sort, taking care of all kind of things.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de