EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

"Tangerine Dream" at E-Live 2017

VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm    "Tangerine Dream" at E-Live 2017 Reply with quoteBack to top

This week Groove announced that "Tangerine Dream" would be the main act at E-Live 2017 on October 21st.

Although it will without any doubt attract a lot of visitors, I personally have some doubts about this "Tangerine Dream" thing. In my opinion the band ceased to exist (at the latest!) with the passing of Edgar Froese. What's left now is (if I'm cynical) "Bianca's Magical Money Machine" or (if I'm more positive) a bunch of musicians who have licensed the Tangerine Dream brand. Either way, what's on stage now has nothing, absolutely no-thing, to do with Tangerine Dream, apart from some of the music they play. Not unlike a tribute band.

Other than that, I get quite sick of this "In honour of Edgar Froese" tag line. For how long do they want to continue with this?

But it must be just me, as I have no doubt the hall will be full of TD fanboys once again.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Re: "Tangerine Dream" at E-Live 2017 Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
Not unlike a tribute band.

A tribute band would probably be closer to the original TD sound, with no new-agey vocals, modern percussion or VST synths.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
modulator_esp

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I quite like the new version of the band, so might give it a go Smile

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« modulator_esp » wrote:
I quite like the new version of the band, so might give it a go Smile

I actually quite like the Quantum Key EP too. But the name Tangerine Dream in this case is pure marketing. It's not because that's the name of this group of musicians.

thirdsystem

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thorsten Quaeschning must be one of the longest serving members of Tangerine Dream , probably only Edgar longer ? So hardly a "tribute band"

Ulrich Schnauss , highly talented and the lassie on violin is also very good indeed. I watched that A38 concert from the boat on the river at Budapest. Utterly superb, there was an improvisation type piece that oozed of 70s quality TD.

Think there may be big potential in this lineup of TD , so might be an idea to give it a chance before slating it. Check it out , you may like it .

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Like a few other people, I am romantic and dewy-eyed enough to think that if a founding member of a band departs or dies, the band is no more. imo there is no TD without Edgar Froese, just as there is no Yes without Chris Squire. Something indefinable has departed, something that I am going to call "the magic"...

The situation is slightly different with Gong, where Daevid Allen encouraged the non-him band to continue after his death, but, then again, his drug-addled vision of what Gong was does include such ideas.

I sincerely hope there is no post-death Klaus Schulze after the great man passes away. :/

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm    Re: "Tangerine Dream" at E-Live 2017 Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
This week Groove announced that "Tangerine Dream" would be the main act at E-Live 2017 on October 21st.

Although it will without any doubt attract a lot of visitors, I personally have some doubts about this "Tangerine Dream" thing. In my opinion the band ceased to exist (at the latest!) with the passing of Edgar Froese. What's left now is (if I'm cynical) "Bianca's Magical Money Machine" or (if I'm more positive) a bunch of musicians who have licensed the Tangerine Dream brand. Either way, what's on stage now has nothing, absolutely no-thing, to do with Tangerine Dream, apart from some of the music they play. Not unlike a tribute band.

Other than that, I get quite sick of this "In honour of Edgar Froese" tag line. For how long do they want to continue with this?

But it must be just me, as I have no doubt the hall will be full of TD fanboys once again.

I am so glad you said this -- people would probably feel inclined to bring on in the tar and feathers if I had written the above.

But your observation is spot-on. Write this on the official TD Forum and people would be screaming bloody murder and call you a heretic.

I can very well understand why Jerome doesn't want to be bothered with all this. It's pathetic, it's disgusting, it's a rip-off of a trademark (well, at least the latter would be in line with Edgar's deeds of the past 30 years).

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
GrahamH
Very Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 pm    Re: "Tangerine Dream" at E-Live 2017 Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« VCO1 » wrote:

I am so glad you said this -- people would probably feel inclined to bring on in the tar and feathers if I had written the above.

But your observation is spot-on. Write this on the official TD Forum and people would be screaming bloody murder and call you a heretic.

I can very well understand why Jerome doesn't want to be bothered with all this. It's pathetic, it's disgusting, it's a rip-off of a trademark (well, at least the latter would be in line with Edgar's deeds of the past 30 years).

Stephen

I agree with you both on this.

If I'm honest I started losing interest in the newer TD releases about 5 years or 6 years ago as there was just too much being released, too many compilations, and compilations of compilations etc.... and the quality of some of it was IMHO questionable.

They should have called it day when Edgar passed, and perhaps thereafter released only the occasional album of previously unreleased music that was recorded when he was still alive, or perhaps some live music from back in the day, but that's just my opinion.

From what I've heard of the current line up (which isn't that much actually), they certainly sound competent enough, there's nothing wrong with the music, and I do wish them well, but at the end of the day it's not Tangerine Dream IMHO.

I'll happily stand corrected on this, as I'm probably wrong, but I can't think of an instance where a group has continued without a single original member being present ?

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm    Re: "Tangerine Dream" at E-Live 2017 Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:

I'll happily stand corrected on this, as I'm probably wrong, but I can't think of an instance where a group has continued without a single original member being present ?

Plenty of them.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117139&forumID=7&archive=0

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The current TD is a great band.

At least far more interesting than 99 % of the musicians that post about their own music on this forum...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
The current TD is a great band.

At least far more interesting than 99 % of the musicians that post about their own music on this forum...

You and others here don't get my point. I'm not, and to be sure everybody understands clearly, I repeat: I am not, questioning the musical capacities of the members of the current incarnation of TD. Although I'm not a big fan of everything Thorsten Ka-Ching has released I think he's a more than decent musician. As for Ulrich Schnauss, I have a few if not all of his albums and listen to them with a lot of pleasure. And according to Wikipedia the Japanese violinist knows how to play her instrument. And what I heard from them playing together sounded good to my ears. Which was to be expected from these people. What annoys me though is that they pretend (and I'm deliberately using this word) to be Tangerine Dream. Which they are not.
I'm not a TD fanboy. I'm not a devotee of Edgar Froese either. But I do recognize the importance of the band in musical history. I think that's undeniable. Besides, more than one TD album would be in my top 5 of essential electronic music releases. But neither Schnauss nor Ka-Ching were part of that history. Let alone the violin player.
Sure, as Thirdsystem mentions, Ka-Ching was a long time colleague of Edgar Froese. But that was in a time TD had already become more of a company than a true band. And it was definitely not a part of their career that would make it into the musical history books. And to be honest, he was more of a session musician filling up the gaps Edgar had in his line up to put out albums.
Long story short, this is not Tangerine Dream. The only reason the name is still used is because it generates (extra) money. Which doesn't do justice to the reputation the band has - rightfully! - in musical history.

transceive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« thirdsystem » wrote:
Thorsten Quaeschning must be one of the longest serving members of Tangerine Dream , probably only Edgar longer ? So hardly a "tribute band"

Yes but he didn't compose any of the music that made the TD name.

I doubt they would sell the same amount if exactly the same music was released under a new name - e.g. Ulrich, Whatshisname & the violin chick

Think some people are buying the new music just because of the name, which I find odd.

Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:

Long story short, this is not Tangerine Dream. The only reason the name is still used is because it generates (extra) money. Which doesn't do justice to the reputation the band has - rightfully! - in musical history.

A statement which is as true today as it was thirty years ago when Chris Franke left.

I love Edgar as much as the next abused fanboy, but frankly I find this fetishisation of his legacy utterly bizarre. TD wasn't the Edgar Froese Band, at least thirty other musicians passed through their ranks, and some would argue people like Franke and Schmoelling did far more to set the bands agenda.

Was Edgar the keeper of TDs sacred flame? I'm sorry to say that keeper oversaw the absolute worst periods of the band, churning out a near endless supply of garbage, bastardizing previous classics, and fabricating live recordings whole-cloth for profit. Here, let me go put on 'Phaedra 2005' while I read comments about how the current lineup is an insult to the bands legacy.

It's very sad Edgar has passed away, but IMO there's been a massive uptick in the quality of the band since then and I'm looking forward to what they do next.

Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« thirdsystem » wrote:

Third longest, after Franke and (brace yourself for a shock) Iris Camaa. Apparently The Bongo Years lasted over a decade.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Someone called Quaeschning "Edgar Froese's water bearer", and I think this pretty much nails it (and no, I didn't say that).

This has a bit of shameless exploitation about it, and something tells me Edgar isn't even tossing and turning in his grave about that (as the Germans would say).

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de