EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Peter Baumann - Machines of Desire

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Just out of interest, what�s your take on the Cluster/Moebius/Roedelius/Rother/Schnitzler school of german electronic music? I have always felt that Peter was closer to that scene, especially his solo stuff...

That's certainly true and possibly one reason why Baumann collaborated with Roedelius and Schnitzler in the late 1970s.

If you take Rother as an example, his playing is absolutely tight and spot-on, and so is Jaki Liebezeit's drumming. Same thing with Neu!. As for the rest, it would be helpful to narrow it down a bit -- are you referring to Eruption-era Schnitzler or rather Con-era, or perhaps Die Russen kommen? Neo-classical Roedelius or Grosses Wasser Roedelius and Moebius?

Harmonia has always been a bit too sugary for me, I'm afraid. Cute at best.

« klockwerk » wrote:
So what I think I see here is that after so many years of listening to music made with the precision a DAW enables, they develop a preference for it. [...]

I don't use a DAW so I can't tell. All I use are my ears and a clicktrack, I'm sorry. That's pathetic, I know.

« klockwerk » wrote:
[...] Dronescape, do you ever listen to old Rolling Stones albums (68-73) and do those sound unprofessional also? Sorry to be off topic (EM), but these are the pinnacle of sloppy to me. [...]

It's not my cup of tea musically but there is a difference between an entire band playing sloppy because the bluesy kind of feel demands for this type of syncopated, laid-back type of playing, or whether you're playing along to a rhythmically tight sequencer pattern where you keep missing the obvious downbeat time and time again. I, for one, would have expected Baumann to be a bit better at that.

I would like to give you the answer to your question which I suppose you're expecting to get but I'm afraid I can't, this is like comparing apples and oranges. Or Berlin Philharmonic with Sex Pistols.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

If you take Rother as an example, his playing is absolutely tight and spot-on, and so is Jaki Liebezeit's drumming. Same thing with Neu!. As for the rest, it would be helpful to narrow it down a bit -- are you referring to Eruption-era Schnitzler or rather Con-era, or perhaps Die Russen kommen? Neo-classical Roedelius or Grosses Wasser Roedelius and Moebius?

Harmonia has always been a bit too sugary for me, I'm afraid. Cute at best.

Stephen

I am referring to their most famous work in the 70�s and very early 80�s...the days when they did their most influential albums. Why I mention them in the connection with the "sloppy playing" and Baumann is that I feel they all (including Baumann) were not that interested in musical perfection in classical sense... I have always felt that they were always looking for the capturing of a feeling or a mood. A bit more situationist take on the musical performance; if there was sloppy playing at times, it didn�t matter that much if it was a success on other levels. TD was like that as well in the early days, actually to the day when Peter left/was sacked.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I like people who like sloppy musicians because there's a chance that I'll get away with my own in their case... Laughing

Wink

klockwerk
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I don't use a DAW so I can't tell. All I use are my ears and a clicktrack, I'm sorry. That's pathetic, I know.

Not 'pathetic' at all. Nor are your opinions I've read here, which are often different from most others. I've tried playing to a clicktrack, and it's definitely a skill.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The experience of listening to Mike Oldfield albums is instructive here. Though he has tried to "tighten up" the technical side of recording, he has been unable (with the possible exception of his most recent release) to capture the magic of the first three albums. But a big part of that magic is the "mistakes" and the "sloppiness" - note those "" marks. It's in that side of the music that a lot of the magic resides.

Too many musicians are far too focused on technique and not enough on mood or feel.

Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wise words.

I do like Tubular Bells II or The Songs of Distant Earth, they are bright and polished, a perfect production work, but the magic of his first three albums, even though Incantations, is evident.

thirdsystem

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stevepalmer » wrote:

Too many musicians are far too focused on technique and not enough on mood or feel.

Absolutely. Spot on.

Re Oldfield, I love Songs of Distant Earth also. It must have been hard for him after the magnificence of the early work. Listened to Guitars recently on Spotify btw and enjoyed it .

I will have to listen to Baumanns MOD again , listened a couple of times, again on Spotify, and thought it was pretty good and more original than I had thought it might be.

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Alvaro » wrote:
Wise words.

I do like Tubular Bells II or The Songs of Distant Earth, they are bright and polished, a perfect production work, but the magic of his first three albums, even though Incantations, is evident.

Incantations also has "the magic" (it's my second-favourite MO album after Hergest Ridge) but it is a curious, precise sort of magic...

Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've listened a lot to MOD now, and I must say it grows... I really like it.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Eric G » wrote:

Agreed Eric, I like it too, after 4 listening it grew on me

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
« Eric G » wrote:

That's nice to hear, Mike Smile. I personally have grown to love it almost as much as his other solo albums from the 70's... There's dark space in the music...the listener has room/time to think and feel. Too many current artists try to entertain people all the time and panic if they feel that the listener might get bored during the next 30 secs. The current TD stuff suffers from that too however good it is otherwise. Must be a generational thing in some ways i think...

Cherrs,
Ami

Now playing: some early album by the Young Marble Giants Smile

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
« Starwalker » wrote:
« Eric G » wrote:

That's nice to hear, Mike Smile. I personally have grown to love it almost as much as his other solo albums from the 70's... There's dark space in the music...the listener has room/time to think and feel. Too many current artists try to entertain people all the time and panic if they feel that the listener might get bored during the next 30 secs. The current TD stuff suffers from that too however good it is otherwise. Must be a generational thing in some ways i think...

Cherrs,
Ami

Now playing: some early album by the Young Marble Giants Smile

Right ON!!!! Ami Very Happy

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de